During an armed conflict, any society is divided into people who are directly engaged in the defense of the state, and the civilian population, which is not involved in the armed conflict. The success of each category depends on the efforts of the opposite, because both parts perform complementary work. However, after the war, soldiers return to civilian life, social diffusion takes place. Military adjust to the peaceful reality, looking for their place in society. It is at this time that the experience gained during the war and the physical and psychological traumas are revealed. Willingness to accept a participant in hostilities in peace is a test of a nation's maturity and discipline.
It should also be noted that among the soldiers there is a high suicide rate. Suicidal and violent tendencies are extreme and express a difficult situation due to many factors. These phenomena represent a complex and complex problem.
How to Rehabilitate the Military
As a result of combat, disability can occur, which often leads to unemployment, depression, loss of motivation, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Every fourth fighter returning from the ATO zone needs psychological help. Returning from the war, a soldier finds himself in a completely different world without explosions, shooting, premature death. One of the most important tasks of the society, which welcomes its soldiers from the war, is the psychological rehabilitation of servicemen. The lack of adequate rehabilitation significantly affects the fate of people faced with war.
In the rehabilitation of soldiers, it is necessary to use an integrated approach. The most natural ways to overcome diseases and disorders are art therapy, hippotherapy, occupational therapy. These and other methods of treatment are effectively used abroad. The facts below speak for themselves.
Methods of psychological assistance
It is psychological rehabilitation that solves a wide range of tasks of psychological assistance to combatants. First of all it is:
- normalization of the mental state;
- renewal of disturbed (lost) mental functions;
- harmonization of the “I-image” of war veterans with the formed social and personal situation (wound, disability);
- providing assistance in establishing constructive relationships with reference individuals and groups;
- implementation by the Department of Rehabilitation of Special Therapies for Suicide Prevention;
- creation of a rapid response system;
- development of clear rules of conduct in case of suicidal and violent incidents;
- improvement of service, speed of responses to the hotline and reduction of bureaucracy;
- train staff on what to do during an incident;
- a gym, thanks to the gym, veterans will be able to engage in a healthy lifestyle.
Thus, the goal of psychological rehabilitation is the restoration of mental health and effective social behavior of the military.
Necessary components of the rehabilitation center
1. A psychologist's office, a hall for trainings and group classes (therapy), an administrative office, a gym, a hostel, a sanitary corner, a kitchen, utility rooms.
2. Individual psychological rehabilitation courses, group therapy courses, art therapy courses, peer-to-peer psychological rehabilitation training for military personnel and their family members.
For a long time, there were no modern health centers for people returning from the war in Ukraine. However, now modern rehabilitation centers should be in every region of Ukraine. They will provide qualified medical, psychological and social assistance to fighters who have returned from the front line.